cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Bhupendra Baraiya <Bhupendra.Bara...@continuum.net>
Subject Drop and Add column with different datatype in Cassandra
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2016 15:31:23 GMT
Hi ,

I am using Cassandra 3.0.4
I am using a Table called User which has a column last_login with Map datatype .

I dropped the column using the  syntax Alter Table User Drop last_login;

I dropped the column from table and recreated it with a nested datatype last_login map<varchar,frozen<tuple<timestamp,inet>>>
But then I got an below error

InvalidRequest: code=2200 [Invalid query] message="Cannot add a collection with
the name last_login because a collection with the same name and a different type
(map<text, timestamp>) has already been used in the past"

Does it mean Cassandra does not allow adding of the same column in the Table even though it
does not exists in the Table

Thanks and regards,

Bhupendra Baraiya
Continuum Managed Services, LLC.