cassandra-user mailing list archives

From "Peddi, Praveen" <pe...@amazon.com>
Subject Removing Node causes bunch of HostUnavailableException
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2016 16:10:47 GMT
Hi all,,
We have few dead nodes in the cluster (Amazon ASG removed those thinking there is an issue
with health). Now we are trying to remove those dead nodes from the cluster so that other
nodes can take over. As soon as I execute nodetool removenode <ID>, we see lots of HostUnavailableExceptions
both on reads and writes. What I am not able to understand is, these are deadnodes and don't
even physically exists. Why would removenode command cause any outage of nodes in Cassandra
when we had no errors whatsoever before removing them. I could not really find a jira ticket
for this.

We are using Cassandra 2.0.9. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Praveen