cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Eric Evans <eev...@wikimedia.org>
Subject Re: NTP Synchronization Setup Changes
Date Thu, 31 Mar 2016 16:59:32 GMT
On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 8:07 PM, Mukil Kesavan
<weirdbluelights@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are there any issues if this causes a huge time correction on the cassandra
> cluster? I know that NTP gradually corrects the time on all the servers. I
> just wanted to understand if there were any corner cases that will cause us
> to lose data/schema updates when this happens. In particular, we seem to be
> having some issues around missing secondary indices at the moment (not all
> but some).

As a thought experiment, imagine every scenario where it matters to
have one write occur after another (an update followed by a delete is
a good example).  Now imagine having your clock yanked backward to
correct for drift between the first such operation and the second.

I would strongly recommend you come up with a stable NTP setup.

--
Eric Evans
eevans@wikimedia.org