cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Alain RODRIGUEZ <>
Subject Re: Parallel bootstraps in two DCs with NetworkTopologyStrategy
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2016 09:15:07 GMT
This should work indeed.

Anyway, you can always try, I believe when you can't add a node, Cassandra
will throw an error.

You can then do some cleaning, remove the joining node from the ring if it
is still there after the failure and clear data "rm -rf
/path/to/cassandra/*" on the joining node that failed. Then try adding it
again when it is the good time to do it. But basically, adding node to
distinct DC are operations relatively independent and it should run

Alain Rodriguez -

> Hi,
> we are in the process of expanding a multi-DC cluster, and are
> wondering if it is safe to bootstrap one node per DC in parallel. My
> intuition would be that this should not lead to any token range
> overlaps (similar to bootstrapping multiple nodes in a rack), so
> *should* be safe. We are using vnodes.
> Could anybody shed some light on this?
> Thanks,
> Gabriel