cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Carlos Alonso <i...@mrcalonso.com>
Subject Re: Migrating from single node to cluster
Date Fri, 26 Feb 2016 09:22:13 GMT
Hi Jason.

Moving from one node to two has exactly the same process as moving from 2
to 3 or any other +1 jump. Basically you configure the node and make it
join the ring and Cassandra will take care of assigning data and load to
that new node.

Regarding how much data your new node should have or how much data has been
moved across it all depends on the replication factor of your keyspaces.

The replication factor is basically the number of replicas your data will
have and that's configured per keyspace. It may happen that you keyspace is
configured with replication factor = 1 and therefore very few (or even no)
data was required to be moved from the first node to the second one.

About the percentages shown in nodetool status, have you provided a
keyspace as an argument? Nodetool status cannot determine the percentage of
owned data for the whole cluster. A keyspace has to be provided for that
(you probably saw a warning note at the last line of nodetool status'
output.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Carlos Alonso | Software Engineer | @calonso <https://twitter.com/calonso>