cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Sebastian Estevez <sebastian.este...@datastax.com>
Subject Re: EC2 storage options for C*
Date Thu, 04 Feb 2016 00:28:36 GMT
By the way, if someone wants to do some hard core testing like Al, I wrote
a guide on how to use his tool:

http://www.sestevez.com/how-to-use-toberts-effio/

I'm sure folks on this list would like to see more stats : )

All the best,

[image: datastax_logo.png] <http://www.datastax.com/>

Sebastián Estévez

Solutions Architect | 954 905 8615 | sebastian.estevez@datastax.com

[image: linkedin.png] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/datastax> [image:
facebook.png] <https://www.facebook.com/datastax> [image: twitter.png]
<https://twitter.com/datastax> [image: g+.png]
<https://plus.google.com/+Datastax/about>
<http://feeds.feedburner.com/datastax>
<http://goog_410786983>

<http://www.datastax.com/gartner-magic-quadrant-odbms>

DataStax is the fastest, most scalable distributed database technology,
delivering Apache Cassandra to the world’s most innovative enterprises.
Datastax is built to be agile, always-on, and predictably scalable to any
size. With more than 500 customers in 45 countries, DataStax is the
database technology and transactional backbone of choice for the worlds
most innovative companies such as Netflix, Adobe, Intuit, and eBay.

On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 7:27 PM, Sebastian Estevez <
sebastian.estevez@datastax.com> wrote:

> Good points Bryan, some more color:
>
> Regular EBS is *not* okay for C*. But AWS has some nicer EBS now that has
> performed okay recently:
>
> http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/EBSVolumeTypes.html
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R-mgOcOSd4
>

> The cloud vendors are moving toward shared storage and we can't ignore
> that in the long term (they will push us in that direction financially).
> Fortunately their shared storage offerings are also getting better. For
> example google's elastic storage offerring provides very reliable
> latencies  <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf-7IhCqCcI>which is what we
> care the most about, not iops.
>
> On the practical side, a key thing I've noticed with real deployments is
> that the size of the volume affects how fast it will perform and how stable
> it's latencies will be so make sure to get large EBS volumes > 1tb to get
> decent performance, even if your nodes aren't that dense.
>

> All the best,
>

> [image: datastax_logo.png] <http://www.datastax.com/>
>
> Sebastián Estévez
>
> Solutions Architect | 954 905 8615 | sebastian.estevez@datastax.com
>
> [image: linkedin.png] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/datastax> [image:
> facebook.png] <https://www.facebook.com/datastax> [image: twitter.png]
> <https://twitter.com/datastax> [image: g+.png]
> <https://plus.google.com/+Datastax/about>
> <http://feeds.feedburner.com/datastax>
> <http://goog_410786983>
>

> <http://www.datastax.com/gartner-magic-quadrant-odbms>
>
> DataStax is the fastest, most scalable distributed database technology,
> delivering Apache Cassandra to the world’s most innovative enterprises.
> Datastax is built to be agile, always-on, and predictably scalable to any
> size. With more than 500 customers in 45 countries, DataStax is the
> database technology and transactional backbone of choice for the worlds
> most innovative companies such as Netflix, Adobe, Intuit, and eBay.
>
> On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 7:23 PM, Bryan Cheng <bryan@blockcypher.com> wrote:
>
>> From my experience, EBS has transitioned from "stay the hell away" to
>> "OK" as the new GP2 SSD type has come out and stabilized over the last few
>> years, especially with the addition of EBS-optimized instances that have
>> dedicated EBS bandwidth. The latter has really helped to stabilize the
>> problematic 99.9-percentile latency spikes that use to plague EBS volumes.
>>
>> EBS (IMHO) has always had operational advantages, but inconsistent
>> latency and generally poor performance in the past lead many to disregard
>> it.
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 4:09 PM, James Rothering <jrothering@codojo.me>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Just curious here ... when did EBS become OK for C*? Didn't they always
>>> push towards using ephemeral disks?

They’re

with a certain block size.

HA - I mean,
HA, so what is the

(possible with EBS, not
AWS’ SLA – if the SLA

the OS call to

We believe they’re

HA, so what is the

were also

GP2 vs
happened.

watching

blowing out page cache
memory

<

read-intensive and

<

10k iops. Even at
didn’t come close to hitting even 50%
for most workloads). PIOPS is not

PM
C*

disks (aka instance
transaction.
cluster, or something
is definitely good enough and we
of anomaly where we have flush

EBS. I didn't go
PIOPS or just standard GP2 in your

Cheng <

you have any idea what
If you need the performance, its hard
EC2, and its a solid, battle tested
EBS GP2 will save a _lot_ of headache.

ours (12 nodes), we've
much more by the balance of price,
SSD and we find that for our patterns the
of course.

Jeff Jirsa <

I strongly recommend m4 or
you don’t care about replacing a node
go with i2+ephemerals. Until then, GP2 EBS
and greatly simplifies life.

at both Cassandra Summit and
It’s
any old documents online that say

at 4:33 PM
for C*

out a C* cluster in EC2.
ephemeral SSDs. The question is
0 or just go with one? We currently run a
2 250gig Samsung 850 EVO's in RAID 0 and we
we are seeing thus far.