cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Jirsa <jeff.ji...@crowdstrike.com>
Subject Re: EC2 storage options for C*
Date Mon, 01 Feb 2016 04:40:59 GMT
Free to choose what you'd like, but EBS outages were also addressed in that video (second half,
discussion by Dennis Opacki). 2016 EBS isn't the same as 2011 EBS.

--
Jeff Jirsa

> On Jan 31, 2016, at 8:27 PM, Eric Plowe <eric.plowe@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thank you all for the suggestions. I'm torn between GP2 vs Ephemeral. GP2 after testing
is a viable contender for our workload. The only worry I have is EBS outages, which have happened.

>> On Sunday, January 31, 2016, Jeff Jirsa <jeff.jirsa@crowdstrike.com> wrote:
>> Also in that video - it's long but worth watching
>>
>> We tested up to 1M reads/second as well, blowing out page cache to ensure we weren't
"just" reading from memory

>> --
>> Jeff Jirsa
>>

>>> On Jan 31, 2016, at 9:52 AM, Jack Krupansky <jack.krupansky@gmail.com>
wrote:

>>> How about reads? Any differences between read-intensive and write-intensive workloads?
>>>
>>> -- Jack Krupansky

per second on 60 nodes, we didn’t come close to hitting even 50% utilization (10k is more
than enough for most workloads). PIOPS is not necessary.

have running a lot of transaction.
want to reload often, EBS is definitely good enough and we haven't had issues 99%. The 1%
is kind of anomaly where we have flush blocked.

do you actually use PIOPS or just standard GP2 in your production cluster?

performance you need?". If you need the performance, its hard to beat ephemeral SSD in RAID
0 on EC2, and its a solid, battle tested configuration. If you don't, though, EBS GP2 will
save a _lot_ of headache.

of instance dictated much more by the balance of price, CPU, and memory. We're using GP2 SSD
and we find that for our patterns the disk is rarely the bottleneck. YMMV, of course.

with GP2 EBS.  When you don’t care about replacing a node because of an instance failure,
go with i2+ephemerals. Until then, GP2 EBS is capable of amazing things, and greatly simplifies
life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R-mgOcOSd4 It’s very much a viable option, despite any
old documents online that say otherwise.

thinking about going with ephemeral SSDs. The question is this: Should we put two in RAID
0 or just go with one? We currently run a cluster in our data center with 2 250gig Samsung
850 EVO's in RAID 0 and we are happy with the performance we are seeing thus far.