cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Jirsa <jeff.ji...@crowdstrike.com>
Subject Re: EC2 storage options for C*
Date Mon, 01 Feb 2016 06:18:32 GMT
Yes, but getting at why you think EBS is going down is the real point. New GM in 2011. Very
different product. 35:40 in the video

--
Jeff Jirsa

> On Jan 31, 2016, at 9:57 PM, Eric Plowe <eric.plowe@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Jeff,
>
> If EBS goes down, then EBS Gp2 will go down as well, no? I'm not discounting EBS, but
prior outages are worrisome.

>> On Sunday, January 31, 2016, Jeff Jirsa <jeff.jirsa@crowdstrike.com> wrote:
>> Free to choose what you'd like, but EBS outages were also addressed in that video
(second half, discussion by Dennis Opacki). 2016 EBS isn't the same as 2011 EBS.

>> --
>> Jeff Jirsa
>>

>>> On Jan 31, 2016, at 8:27 PM, Eric Plowe <eric.plowe@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thank you all for the suggestions. I'm torn between GP2 vs Ephemeral. GP2 after
testing is a viable contender for our workload. The only worry I have is EBS outages, which
have happened.

we weren't "just" reading from memory

writes per second on 60 nodes, we didn’t come close to hitting even 50% utilization (10k
is more than enough for most workloads). PIOPS is not necessary.

if you have running a lot of transaction.
you want to reload often, EBS is definitely good enough and we haven't had issues 99%. The
1% is kind of anomaly where we have flush blocked.

the video, do you actually use PIOPS or just standard GP2 in your production cluster?

of disk performance you need?". If you need the performance, its hard to beat ephemeral SSD
in RAID 0 on EC2, and its a solid, battle tested configuration. If you don't, though, EBS
GP2 will save a _lot_ of headache.

our choice of instance dictated much more by the balance of price, CPU, and memory. We're
using GP2 SSD and we find that for our patterns the disk is rarely the bottleneck. YMMV, of
course.

or c4 instances with GP2 EBS.  When you don’t care about replacing a node because of an
instance failure, go with i2+ephemerals. Until then, GP2 EBS is capable of amazing things,
and greatly simplifies life.

AWS re:Invent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R-mgOcOSd4 It’s very much a viable option,
despite any old documents online that say otherwise.

We are thinking about going with ephemeral SSDs. The question is this: Should we put two in
RAID 0 or just go with one? We currently run a cluster in our data center with 2 250gig Samsung
850 EVO's in RAID 0 and we are happy with the performance we are seeing thus far.