cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Paulo Motta <pauloricard...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: broadcast_address in multi data center setups
Date Mon, 18 Jan 2016 14:44:16 GMT
broadcast_address is the address exposed for internal inter-node
communication, while rpc_address is the address that will listen to clients.

all nodes need to talk to each other via the broadcast_address, so if they
are within the same network, you may use public or private IPs as
broadcast_address, but if there's at least one node in a different network
they all need to use the public IP, or you need to setup your own
tunnelling/vpn to make sure nodes can reach each other.

You need to setup your own firewall rules. See more about what ports are
used here:
https://docs.datastax.com/en/cassandra/2.1/cassandra/security/secureFireWall_r.html.
You may also be interested in setting up client authentication:
https://docs.datastax.com/en/cassandra/2.1/cassandra/security/security_config_native_authenticate_t.html