cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Jirsa <jeff.ji...@crowdstrike.com>
Subject Re: EC2 storage options for C*
Date Sat, 30 Jan 2016 03:32:21 GMT
If you have to ask that question, I strongly recommend m4 or c4 instances with GP2 EBS.  When
you don’t care about replacing a node because of an instance failure, go with i2+ephemerals.
Until then, GP2 EBS is capable of amazing things, and greatly simplifies life.

We gave a talk on this topic at both Cassandra Summit and AWS re:Invent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R-mgOcOSd4
It’s very much a viable option, despite any old documents online that say otherwise.

From:  Eric Plowe
Date:  Friday, January 29, 2016 at 4:33 PM
To:  "user@cassandra.apache.org"
Subject:  EC2 storage options for C*

My company is planning on rolling out a C* cluster in EC2. We are thinking about going with
ephemeral SSDs. The question is this: Should we put two in RAID 0 or just go with one? We
currently run a cluster in our data center with 2 250gig Samsung 850 EVO's in RAID 0 and we
are happy with the performance we are seeing thus far.

Thanks!

Eric