cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Chris Burroughs <chris.burrou...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CQL Composite Key Seen After Table Creation
Date Fri, 15 Jan 2016 18:24:13 GMT
On 01/06/2016 04:47 PM, Robert Coli wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 12:54 PM, Chris Burroughs <chris.burroughs@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> The problem with that approach is that manually editing the local schema
>> tables in live cluster is wildly dangerous. I *think* this would work:
>
>   * Make triple sure no schema changes are happening on the cluster.
>
>   * Update schema tables on each node --> drain --> restart
>

> I think that would work too, and probably be lower risk than modifying on
> one and trying to get the others to pull via resetlocalschema. But I agree
> it seems "wildly dangerous".

We did this, and a day later it appears successful.

I am still fuzzy on how schema "changes" propagate when you edit the
schema tables directly and am unsure if the drain/restart rain dance was
strictly necessary, but it felt safer. (Obviously even if I was sure
now, that would not be behavior to count on, and I hope not to need to
do this gain.)