cassandra-user mailing list archives

From james anderson <james.ander...@setf.de>
Subject Re: Cassandra and GPU's...
Date Wed, 02 Dec 2015 01:55:56 GMT
good morning;

> On 2015-12-01, at 21:53, Steve Robenalt <srobenalt@highwire.org <mailto:srobenalt@highwire.org>>
wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> Yup, the analytics side of database usage is ripe with possibilities, as the site at
your link shows.

that case is not the “analytics”, but the database itself.
the graph navigation is a core aspect of that particular database form.

> In my original skepticism, I was referring not to the analytics using the database, but
to the database itself. In Cassandra-specific terms, I would suggest that GPUs have more potential
impact on the Spark and/or Titan integration with Cassandra, rather than on Cassandra itself.

> Steve
>

> On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 12:35 PM, james anderson <james.anderson@setf.de <mailto:james.anderson@setf.de>>
wrote:
> good evening;
>
>> On 2015-12-01, at 21:17, Steve Robenalt <srobenalt@highwire.org <mailto:srobenalt@highwire.org>>
wrote:

>> Hi Tony,
>>
>> Somebody will likely prove me wrong on this (and I'd love to see it), but I'm skeptical
that there is much intersection between the set of things a GPU is good at and the set of
things a database needs to do.

> of course the context varies, but there are some demonstrated advantages:
>
>     https://www.blazegraph.com/product/gpu-accelerated/ <https://www.blazegraph.com/product/gpu-accelerated/>
>
>> As such, I don't expect there'd be much performance gain unless a way to exploit
the massive parallelism of the GPU effectively can be found.

>> Of course, GPU-driven analytics on the contents of the database opens up all kinds
of possibilities given the right kind of data...

>> Steve
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 10:16 AM, Tony Anecito <adanecito@yahoo.com <mailto:adanecito@yahoo.com>>
wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Can Cassandra use GPU's? If not can someone recommend a open source database that
runs on GPU's? I am interested in seeing the performance difference of a database that is
under 2GB run on a GPU card such as as NVIDA gtx 980.