cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Hannu Kröger <hkro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [RELEASE] Apache Cassandra 3.1 released
Date Wed, 09 Dec 2015 14:27:46 GMT
Hi,

I feel the same as well. Would you skip 3.2 when you release another round of bug fixes after
one round of bug fixes? Or would 3.2 be released after 3.3.? :P

BR,
Hannu

> On 09 Dec 2015, at 16:05, Kai Wang <depend@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Janne,
>
> You are not alone. I am also confused by that "Under normal conditions ..." statement.
I can really use some examples such as:
> 3.0.0 = ?
> 3.0.1 = ?
> 3.1.0 = ?
> 3.1.1 = ? (this should not happen under normal conditions because the fix should be in
3.3.0 - the next bug fix release?)

> On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 3:05 AM, Janne Jalkanen <janne.jalkanen@ecyrd.com <mailto:janne.jalkanen@ecyrd.com>>
wrote:

> I’m sorry, I don’t understand the new release scheme at all. Both of these are bug
fixes on 3.0? What’s the actual difference?

> If I just want to run the most stable 3.0, should I run 3.0.1 or 3.1?  Will 3.0 gain
new features which will not go into 3.1, because that’s a bug fix release on 3.0? So 3.0.x
will contain more features than 3.1, as even-numbered releases will be getting new features?
Or is 3.0.1 and 3.1 essentially the same thing? Then what’s the role of 3.1? Will there
be more than one 3.1? 3.1.1? Or is it 3.3? What’s the content of that? 3.something + patches
= 3.what?

> What does this statement in the referred blog post mean? "Under normal conditions, we
will NOT release 3.x.y stability releases for x > 0.” Why are the normal conditions being
violated already by releasing 3.1 (since 1 > 0)?