cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>
Subject Re: Best way to recreate a cassandra node with data
Date Mon, 09 Nov 2015 18:36:18 GMT
On Sun, Nov 8, 2015 at 9:11 PM, John Wong <gokoproject@gmail.com> wrote:

> If we recreate an instance with the same IP, what is the best way to get
> the node up and running with the previous data? Right now I am relying on
> backup.

replace_address if you don't mind decreasing unique replica count by one.

https://github.com/JeremyGrosser/tablesnap

If you do care about decreasing unique replica count by one.

> I was hoping that we can stream the data, but nodetool rebuild is for
> bringing up a new data center. I just re-created the instance and I don't
> see much going on except keyspaces are being re-created with some data
> file. I thought Cassandra would automatically stream data from replicas...

Note that :

1) in order for replace_address to work, you need to set initial_token in
the conf file
2) the node can't be in its own seed list, or it can't bootstrap

=Rob