cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Robert Wille <>
Subject Re: Upgrade instructions don't make sense
Date Mon, 23 Nov 2015 23:47:55 GMT
I guess I need to learn to read. Yes, I’m using vnodes, and yes, the instructions say to
disable them if you aren’t using them, not if you are.

Sorry about cluttering up the mailing list.

On Nov 23, 2015, at 4:22 PM, Sebastian Estevez <<>>

If your cluster does not use vnodes, disable vnodes in each new cassandra.yaml

If your cluster does use vnodes do not disable them.

All the best,

Sebastián Estévez
Solutions Architect | 954 905 8615 |<>
[linkedin.png]<> [facebook.png] <>
 [twitter.png] <>  [g+.png] <>

DataStax is the fastest, most scalable distributed database technology, delivering Apache
Cassandra to the world’s most innovative enterprises. Datastax is built to be agile, always-on,
and predictably scalable to any size. With more than 500 customers in 45 countries, DataStax
is the database technology and transactional backbone of choice for the worlds most innovative
companies such as Netflix, Adobe, Intuit, and eBay.

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 5:55 PM, Robert Wille <<>>
I’m wanting to upgrade from 2.0 to 2.1. The upgrade instructions at
has the following, which leaves me with more questions than it answers:

If your cluster does not use vnodes, disable vnodes in each new cassandra.yaml before doing
the rolling restart.
In Cassandra 2.0.x, virtual nodes (vnodes) are enabled by default. Disable vnodes in the 2.0.x
version before upgrading.

  1.  In the cassandra.yaml<>
file, set num_tokens to 1.
  2.  Uncomment the initial_token property and set it to 1 or to the value of a generated
for a multi-node cluster.

It seems strange that vnodes has to be disabled to upgrade, but whatever. If I use an initial
token generator to set the initial_token property of each node, then I assume that my token
ranges are all going to change, and that there’s going to be a whole bunch of streaming
as the data is shuffled around. The docs don’t mention that. Should I wait until the streaming
is done before proceeding with the upgrade?

The docs don’t talk about vnodes and initial_tokens post-upgrade. Can I turn vnodes back
on? Am I forever after stuck with having to have manually generated initial tokens (and needing
to have a unique cassandra.yaml for every node)? Can I just set num_tokens = 256 and comment
out initial_token and do a rolling restart?

Thanks in advance

View raw message