cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Johnny Miller <johnny.p.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Best way to recreate a cassandra node with data
Date Mon, 09 Nov 2015 08:31:25 GMT
John - Why not just just follow the process for replacing a dead node? Why do you need to use
the same IP? e.g. JVM_OPTS="$JVM_OPTS -Dcassandra.replace_address=address_of_dead_node

http://docs.datastax.com/en/cassandra/1.2/cassandra/operations/ops_replace_node_t.html <http://docs.datastax.com/en/cassandra/1.2/cassandra/operations/ops_replace_node_t.html>

Johnny

> On 9 Nov 2015, at 05:11, John Wong <gokoproject@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi.
> We are running Cassandra 1.2.19, and we are AWS customer, so we store our data in ephemeral
storage.

> If we recreate an instance with the same IP, what is the best way to get the node up
and running with the previous data? Right now I am relying on backup.

> I was hoping that we can stream the data, but nodetool rebuild is for bringing up a new
data center. I just re-created the instance and I don't see much going on except keyspaces
are being re-created with some data file. I thought Cassandra would automatically stream data
from replicas...