cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>
Subject Re: Downtime-Limit for a node in Network-Topology-Replication-Cluster?
Date Thu, 29 Oct 2015 22:38:01 GMT
On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 2:20 PM, Vasileios Vlachos <
vasileiosvlachos@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for clarifying this Rob.
>
> -However no step other than 2) provides a *guarantee* of consistency. And
> it only provides that guarantee for data that exists when the repair starts.
>
> I read the above as "consistency is a strong term..." :) But that's
> understandable.

Yes, the Coli Conjecture is that if your app is suited for a distributed
database, consistency probably matters to you less than you think it does.

The foundation for this conjecture is that there are many circumstances and
modes of operation in which distributed database operators have
unexpectedly lost consistency, and almost none of them (or their customers)
noticed....

=Rob