cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jacques-Henri Berthemet <jacques-henri.berthe...@genesys.com>
Subject RE: Changing schema on multiple nodes while they are isolated
Date Fri, 02 Oct 2015 16:16:51 GMT
Why don’t you simply let the node join the cluster? It will pull new tables and the data
automatically.

--
Jacques-Henri Berthemet

From: Stephen Baynes [mailto:stephen.baynes@smoothwall.net]
Sent: vendredi 2 octobre 2015 18:08
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: Changing schema on multiple nodes while they are isolated

Hi Jacques-Henri

You are right - serious trouble. I managed some more testing and it does not repair or share
any data. In the logs I see lots of:

WARN  [MessagingService-Incoming-/10.50.16.214<http://10.50.16.214>] 2015-10-02 16:52:36,810
IncomingTcpConnection.java:100 - UnknownColumnFamilyException reading from socket; closing
org.apache.cassandra.db.UnknownColumnFamilyException: Couldn't find cfId=e6828dd0-691a-11e5-8a27-b1780df21c7c
     at org.apache.cassandra.db.ColumnFamilySerializer.deserializeCfId(ColumnFamilySerializer.java:163)
~[apache-cassandra-2.2.1.jar:2.2.1]
     at org.apache.cassandra.db.ColumnFamilySerializer.deserialize(ColumnFamilySerializer.java:96)
~[apache-cassandra-2.2.1.jar:2.2.1]

and some:

ERROR [AntiEntropyStage:1] 2015-10-02 16:48:16,546 RepairMessageVerbHandler.java:164 - Got
error, removing parent repair session
ERROR [AntiEntropyStage:1] 2015-10-02 16:48:16,548 CassandraDaemon.java:183 - Exception in
thread Thread[AntiEntropyStage:1,5,main]
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.NullPointerException
     at org.apache.cassandra.repair.RepairMessageVerbHandler.doVerb(RepairMessageVerbHandler.java:167)
~[apache-cassandra-2.2.1.jar:2.2.1]
     at org.apache.cassandra.net.MessageDeliveryTask.run(MessageDeliveryTask.java:66) ~[apache-cassandra-2.2.1.jar:2.2.1]

Will need to do some thinking about this. I wonder about shiping a backup of a good system
keyspace and restore it on each node before it starts for the first time - but will that end
up with each node having the same internal id?

On 2 October 2015 at 16:27, Jacques-Henri Berthemet <jacques-henri.berthemet@genesys.com<mailto:jacques-henri.berthemet@genesys.com>>