cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Ferland <...@tubularlabs.com>
Subject Re: Snapshots - Backup/Restore requirements
Date Mon, 12 Oct 2015 22:28:26 GMT
Yeah, that’s got plenty of promise looking at it the 2nd time around. What turned me off
from using it was the combination of not having a single-shot backup mode and appearing to
only run in inotify mode which would just chuck in every compaction.

It looks like when reading it through its source code to come up with an actual answer to
your question that I can put in a very small patch for making a single-shot pass of backups
without the notify loop and then run it again in parallel as a separate task with an include
regex of backups/(.*?!-tmp).

So, yes, I suggest using tablesnap and I’ll focus what time I would have spent enhancing
my code to test it, put up a minor diff for a single-shot flag, and get some documentation
/ examples on snapshot and backup directories.

-Jeff

> On Oct 12, 2015, at 2:30 PM, Robert Coli <rcoli@eventbrite.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 9:41 AM, Jeff Ferland <jbf@tubularlabs.com <mailto:jbf@tubularlabs.com>>
wrote:
> I have a semi-hacky Python script I’ve written up. It needs refining for public use,
but I’ll put it in Github later today and send you a link as I work on it. It uses boto
to do concurrent multi-part uploads to S3 with retry and resume recording function if it gets
interrupted while uploading that super huge file.

> Or you could use tablesnap which has this basic design and has existed and been maintained
and extended with additional tools over the last few years?