cassandra-user mailing list archives

From "Modha, Digant" <Digant.Mo...@tdsecurities.com>
Subject RE: reiserfs - DirectoryNotEmptyException
Date Thu, 15 Oct 2015 19:28:58 GMT
It is deployed on an existing cluster but will be migrated soon to a different file system
& Linux distribution.

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Shuler [mailto:mshuler@pbandjelly.org] On Behalf Of Michael Shuler
Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 6:02 PM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: reiserfs - DirectoryNotEmptyException

On 10/13/2015 01:58 PM, Modha, Digant wrote:
> I am running Cassandra 2.1.10 and noticed intermittent
> DirectoryNotEmptyExceptions during repair.  My cassandra data drive is
> reiserfs.

Why? I'm genuinely interested in this filesystem selection, since it is unmaintained, has
been dropped from some mainstream linux distributions, and some may call it "dead". ;)

> I noticed that on reiserfs wiki site
> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReiserFS#Criticism, it states that
> unlink operation is not synchronous. Is that the reason for the
> exception below:
>
> ERROR [ValidationExecutor:137] 2015-10-13 00:46:30,759
> CassandraDaemon.java:227 - Exception in thread
> Thread[ValidationExecutor:137,1,main]
>
> org.apache.cassandra.io.FSWriteError:
> java.nio.file.DirectoryNotEmptyException:
>
> at
> org.apache.cassandra.io.util.FileUtils.deleteWithConfirm(FileUtils.jav
> a:135)
>
>~[apache-cassandra-2.1.10.jar:2.1.10]
<...>

This seems like a reasonable explanation. Using a modern filesystem like
ext4 or xfs would certainly be helpful in getting you within the realm of a "common" hardware
setup.

https://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/CassandraHardware
https://www.safaribooksonline.com/library/view/cassandra-high-performance/9781849515122/ch04s06.html

I think Al Tobey had a slide deck on filesystem tuning for C*, but I didn't find it quickly.

--
Kind regards,
Michael

TD Securities disclaims any liability or losses either direct or consequential caused by the
use of this information. This communication is for informational purposes only and is not
intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of any financial instrument
or as an official confirmation of any transaction. TD Securities is neither making any investment
recommendation nor providing any professional or advisory services relating to the activities
described herein. All market prices, data and other information are not warranted as to completeness
or accuracy and are subject to change without notice Any products described herein are (i)
not insured by the FDIC, (ii) not a deposit or other obligation of, or guaranteed by, an insured
depository institution and (iii) subject to investment risks, including possible loss of the
principal amount invested. The information shall not be further distributed or duplicated
in whole or in part by any means without the prior written consent of TD Securities. TD Securities
is a trademark of The Toronto-Dominion Bank and represents TD Securities (USA) LLC and certain
investment banking activities of The Toronto-Dominion Bank and its subsidiaries.