cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Raul D'Opazo <Raul.DOp...@software.dell.com>
Subject RE: Hiper-V snapshot and Cassandra
Date Thu, 22 Oct 2015 06:42:42 GMT
Hi, so what is the usual thing to take care of backups:

-        Take Cassandra snapshots

-        Take this snapshots to a backup system
?

From: Robert Coli [mailto:rcoli@eventbrite.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2015 5:07 PM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: Hiper-V snapshot and Cassandra

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 4:22 AM, Raul D'Opazo <Raul.DOpazo@software.dell.com<mailto:Raul.DOpazo@software.dell.com>>
wrote:
I only have one node, in one server (Windows 2012), and Cassandra will grow up to 4TB approx.
It is a hiper-v virtual machine, with enough resources.

This is an extremely unusual and probably degenerate use of Cassandra.

I have done snapshots and it is ok, because we don’t double the size in each snapshot, but
I need to have other solution in case of disks problems.

I have no idea how snapshots work in Windows; if like linux, each snapshot is hard links to
the actual data files.

I am thinking if hiper-v virtual machine snapshots can be used to recover Cassandra in a consistence
way. Is it possible?

Sure? If you quiesce writes to the system or if you don't care about the delta in the commit
log between snapshot+hiper-v snapshot, your snapshot will contain all the immutable data files
you need to restore.

Finally, I re-iterate my confusion at why you wish to do this unusual thing?

=Rob