cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jon Haddad <...@jonhaddad.com>
Subject Re: LOCAL_SERIAL
Date Thu, 15 Oct 2015 15:43:32 GMT
ZK seems a little overkill for just 1 feature though.  LOCAL_SERIAL is fine if all you want
to do is keep a handful of keys up to date.

There’s a massive cost in adding something new to your infrastructure, and imo, very little
gain in this case.

> On Oct 15, 2015, at 8:29 AM, Eric Stevens <mightye@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> You probably could, but if I were you, I'd consider a tool built for that purpose, such
as Zookeeper.  It'd open up access to a lot of other great cluster coordination features.

> On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 8:47 AM Jan Algermissen <algermissen1971@icloud.com <mailto:algermissen1971@icloud.com>>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> suppose I have two data centers and want to coordinate a bunch of services in each data
center (for example to load data into a per-DC system that is not DC-aware (Solr)).

> Does it make sense to use CAS functionality with explicit LOCAL_SERIAL to 'elect' a leader
per data center to do the work?

> So instead of saying 'for this query, LOCAL_SERIAL is enough for me' this would be like
saying 'I want XYZ to happen exactly once, per data center'. - All services would try to do
XYZ, but only one instance *per datacenter* will actually become the leader and succeed.