cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Bryan Cheng <br...@blockcypher.com>
Subject Rebuild new DC nodes against new DC?
Date Tue, 01 Sep 2015 00:10:15 GMT
Hi list,

We're bringing up a second DC, and following the procedure outlined here:
http://docs.datastax.com/en/cassandra/2.1/cassandra/operations/ops_add_dc_to_cluster_t.html

We have three nodes in the new DC that are members of the cluster and
indicate that they are running normally. We have begun the process of
altering the keyspaces for multi-DC and are streaming over data via
nodetool rebuild on a keyspace-by-keyspace basis.

I couldn't find a clear answer for this: at what point is it safe to
rebuild from the new dc versus the old?

In other words, I have machines a, b, and c in DC2 (the new DC). I build a
and b by specifying DC1 on the rebuild command line. Can I safely rebuild
against DC2 for machine c? Is this at all dependent on quorum settings?

Our DC's are linked by a VPN that doesn't have as big of a pipe as we'd
like- streaming in the new DC would make things faster and ease some
headaches.

Thanks for any help!

--Bryan