cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Robert Wille <rwi...@fold3.com>
Subject Order By limitation or bug?
Date Thu, 03 Sep 2015 20:27:53 GMT
Given this table:

CREATE TABLE import_file (
  roll int,
  type text,
  id timeuuid,
  data text,
  PRIMARY KEY ((roll), type, id)
)

This should be possible:

SELECT data FROM import_file WHERE roll = 1 AND type = 'foo' ORDER BY id DESC;

but it results in the following error:

Bad Request: Order by currently only support the ordering of columns following their declared
order in the PRIMARY KEY

I am ordering in the declared order in the primary key. I don’t see why this shouldn’t
be able to be supported. Is this a known limitation or a bug?

In this example, I can get the results I want by omitting the ORDER BY clause and adding WITH
CLUSTERING ORDER BY (id DESC) to the schema. However, now I can only get descending order.
I have to choose either ascending or descending order. I cannot get both.

Robert