cassandra-user mailing list archives

From "Marcelo Valle (BLOOMBERG/ LONDON)" <mvallemil...@bloomberg.net>
Subject Re: ScyllaDB, a new open source, Cassandra-compatible NoSQL
Date Wed, 23 Sep 2015 14:01:17 GMT
I think there is a very important point in Scylladb - latency.
Performance can be an important requirement, but the fact scylladb is written in C and uses
lock free algorithms inside means it should have lower latency than Cassandra, which enables
it's use for a wider range of applications.
It seems like a huge milestone achieved by Cassandra community, congratulations!

From: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: ScyllaDB, a new open source, Cassandra-compatible NoSQL

Looking at the architecture and what scylladb does, I'm not surprised they got 10x improvement.
SeaStar skips a lot of the overhead of copying stuff and it gives them CPU core affinity.
Anyone that's listened to Clif Click talk about cache misses, locks and other low level stuff
would recognize the huge boost in performance when many of those bottlenecks are removed.
Using an actor model to avoid locks doesn't hurt either.