cassandra-user mailing list archives

From <SEAN_R_DUR...@homedepot.com>
Subject RE: DC's versions compatibility
Date Tue, 29 Sep 2015 12:21:13 GMT
You CAN run mixed versions in your cluster for a short time when you are upgrading. However,
you will most likely not be able to run repairs or any other streaming operations (adding
nodes, adding a DC, etc.) while in this state.

The advice below is correct. Upgrade your current ring to the version you need; then add the
DC at the same version. This is the only way to be sure that the streaming required will work.

Sean Durity – Lead Cassandra Admin

From: Jonathan Haddad [mailto:jon@jonhaddad.com]
Sent: Monday, September 28, 2015 9:34 AM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: DC's versions compatibility

No, they won't.  Always run the same version across your cluster.

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 5:29 AM Carlos Alonso <info@mrcalonso.com<mailto:info@mrcalonso.com>>
wrote:
Hi guys.

I have a very old cassandra cluster 1.2.19 and I'm looking to add a new datacenter to it for
analytics purposes in a newer version, let's say 2.1.8. Will those DC's communicate properly?

Regards

Carlos Alonso | Software Engineer | @calonso<https://twitter.com/calonso>