cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Russell Bradberry <rbradbe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Configuring Cassandra to limit number of columns to read
Date Fri, 14 Aug 2015 18:19:39 GMT
The idea that you have 250k columns is somewhat of an anti-pattern.  In this case you would
typically have a few columns and many rows, then just run a select with a limit clause in
your partition.

From:  Jonathan Haddad
Date:  Friday, August 14, 2015 at 2:16 PM
To:  "user@cassandra.apache.org"
Subject:  Re: Configuring Cassandra to limit number of columns to read

250k columns?    As in, you have a CREATE TABLE statement that would have over 250K separate,
typed fields?

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 11:07 AM Ahmed  Ferdous <Ahmed.Ferdous@ze.com> wrote:
Hi Guys,

We have designed a table to have rows with large number of columns (more than 250k). One of
my colleagues, mistakenly ran a select on the  and that caused the nodes to go out of memory.
I was just wondering if there are ways to configure Cassandra 1. To limit number of columns
that can be read 2. To gracefully reject a read request if it appears to be consuming a lot
of memory. Otherwise, we are leaving too much open to human mistakes.

Cheers,

Ahmed

Ahmed Ferdous
Systems Architect
Corporate: 604-244-1469     Email: Ahmed.Ferdous@ze.com

ZE PowerGroup Inc.
130 - 5920 No. Two Road, Richmond, BC, Canada V7C 4R9     Web: www.ze.com
North America: 1-866-944-1469      Europe: 0-800-520-0193       Singapore: 800-130-1609

ZE PowerGroup Inc. Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail and any attachments are for the exclusive
and confidential use of the intended recipient and contain confidential and proprietary information.
If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any reading, distribution, disclosure,
copying, printing or taking action in reliance upon this e-mail is prohibited. If you have
received this in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and promptly
delete this e-mail and its attachments from your computer system.