cassandra-user mailing list archives

From <SEAN_R_DUR...@homedepot.com>
Subject RE: Can I run upgrade sstables on many nodes on one time
Date Thu, 13 Aug 2015 12:33:02 GMT
Yes, you should run upgradesstables on each node. If the sstable structure has changed, you
will need this completed before you can do streaming operations like repairs or adding nodes.

As for running in parallel, that should be fine. It is a “within the node” operation that
pounds I/O (but is capped by compaction threshold). You need to look at the level of activity
from normal operations, though. If Cassandra is running without much stress/sweat, go ahead
and run 2 at once. (Conservatively, that’s all I would do on 6 nodes.) If the cluster is
inactive, let it fly on all nodes.

Sean Durity
Lead Cassandra Admin, Big Data Team

From: Ola Nowak [mailto:ola.nowak88@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 13, 2015 5:30 AM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Can I run upgrade sstables on many nodes on one time

Hi all,
I'm trying to update my 6 node cluster from 2.0.11 to 2.1.8.
I'm following this update procedure: http://docs.datastax.com/en/upgrade/doc/upgrade/cassandra/upgradeCassandraDetails.html
and the point 8 says: "If you are upgrading from a major version (for example, from Cassandra
1.2 to 2.0) or a major point release (for example, from Cassandra 2.0 to 2.1), upgrade the
SSTables on each node.
$ nodetool upgradesstables"
As far as I understood it correctly I should run nodetool upgradesstables on every node after
upgrading the version on each node. Is that right?
As it is a really time consuming operation I wonder if I could run upgradesstables on multiple
nodes at one time ( parallelly)?
Regards,
Ola