cassandra-user mailing list archives

From James Vanns <jvanns....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: AWS multi-region DCs fail to rebuild
Date Fri, 31 Jul 2015 08:54:10 GMT

> Why are you using 2.2? In general Cassandra, like most software, can lack
> stability near the bleeding edge.

I'll be honest, I didn't realise I was using the bleeding edge! I had begun
playing around with dsc21 (from the datastax apt repo) but when that failed
to install correctly due to dependency issues with the packaging, I
switched to dsc22 as this fixed the packaging problem. I *assumed* that
dsc22 was an upgraded official release :|

> error: Error while rebuilding node: Stream failed
>>

> This is a relatively common issue with streaming in AWS.

Oh :(

> Is this a bug or a configuration error perhaps? I know people out there
>> are using
>> AWS for Cassandra - how are you replicating across regions? Here are two
>> values I've tried modifying to no avail;
>>
>> streaming_socket_timeout_in_ms
>> phi_convict_threshold
>>

> What values did you try? What happened when you did this?

Yes, that would have been helpful I suppose ;) I increased
phi_convict_threshold from 10 to 12 and set streaming_socket_timeout_in_ms
to 5000. I applied these independently before together. Neither helped
as the same error was reported.

As both were referenced in various AWS related Cassandra sources on the web
>> ;)
>>
>> The amount of data being replicated would be tiny - we're testing a tiny
>> TitanDB
>> graph of  no more than 100 edges and 100 nodes.
>>

> With data that small, you don't really need to use "rebuild," you could
> just bootstrap the nodes one at a time. Of course bootstrap uses the same
> streaming as rebuild so that doesn't really help, lol..

Thanks for your help.

> For issues like this, #cassandra on freenode IRC is often a good forum to
> get help.
>
> =Rob

Senior Code Pig
Industrial Light & Magic