cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>
Subject Re: AWS multi-region DCs fail to rebuild
Date Thu, 30 Jul 2015 17:41:18 GMT
On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 9:23 AM, James Vanns <jvanns.ilm@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi. First, some details;

Thanks for including the relevant details in your initial post, it helps a
lot.

Why are you using 2.2? In general Cassandra, like most software, can lack
stability near the bleeding edge.

error: Error while rebuilding node: Stream failed

This is a relatively common issue with streaming in AWS.

> Is this a bug or a configuration error perhaps? I know people out there
> are using
> AWS for Cassandra - how are you replicating across regions? Here are two
> values I've tried modifying to no avail;
>
> streaming_socket_timeout_in_ms
> phi_convict_threshold

What values did you try? What happened when you did this?

> As both were referenced in various AWS related Cassandra sources on the
> web ;)
>
> The amount of data being replicated would be tiny - we're testing a tiny
> TitanDB
> graph of  no more than 100 edges and 100 nodes.

With data that small, you don't really need to use "rebuild," you could
just bootstrap the nodes one at a time. Of course bootstrap uses the same
streaming as rebuild so that doesn't really help, lol..

For issues like this, #cassandra on freenode IRC is often a good forum to
get help.

=Rob