cassandra-user mailing list archives

From "Mikhail Strebkov" <>
Subject RE: Can't connect to Cassandra server
Date Mon, 27 Jul 2015 16:03:35 GMT
We had the same issue with huge number of sstables on this version and 2.1.3. After updating
to 2.1.8 the issue slowly faded out (it took a long time for Cassandra to compact thousands
of sstables)

On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 4:05 AM, Peer, Oded <> wrote:

> It’s noticeable from the log file that you have many sstable files.
> For instance there are over 11,000 sstable files for table “word_usage”, and over
10,500 of those are less than one MB in size.
> I am guessing this has to be part of the reason bootstrap is taking so long.
> What type of compaction are you using and how did you configure compaction for “word_usage”?
> Which version of Cassandra are you using?
setting 800M until you are certain it needs to be changed.
I still get the same issue. Following are my complete system.log after changing,
and new
> I can't find ant output.log in my cassandra installation.
> Thanks
> On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 4:31 AM, Erick Ramirez <<>>
> Chamila,
> As you can see from the netstat/lsof output, there is nothing listening on port 9042
because Cassandra has not started yet. This is the reason you are unable to connect via cqlsh.
> You need to work out first why Cassandra has not started.
> With regards to JVM, Oded is referring to the max heap size and new heap size you have
configured. The suspicion is that you have max heap size set too low which is apparent from
the heap pressure and GC pattern in the log you provided.
> Please provide the gist for the following so we can assist:
> - updated system.log
> - copy of output.log
> -
> Cheers,
> Erick
> Erick Ramirez
> About Me<>
> --
> Chamila Dilshan Wijayarathna,
> Software Engineer
> Mobile:(+94)788193620<tel:%28%2B94%29788193620>
> WSO2 Inc.,
> --
> Chamila Dilshan Wijayarathna,
> Software Engineer