cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>
Subject Re: Minor Compactions Not Triggered
Date Tue, 02 Jun 2015 18:07:16 GMT
On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 11:25 AM, Anuj Wadehra <anujw_2003@yahoo.co.in>
wrote:

> As per the algorithm shared in the CASSANDRA 6654, I understand that
> tombstone_threshold property only comes into picture if you have expirying
> columns and it wont have any effect if you have manually deleted rows in
> cf. Is my understanding correct?
>
> According to you What would be the expected behavior of following steps??
>
> I inserted x rows
> I deleted x rows
> Ran major compaction to make sure that one big sstable contains all
> tombstones
> Waited for gc grace period to see whether that big sstable formed after
> major compaction is compacted on its own without finding any other sstable

That's a good question, and I don't actually know the answer. If you aren't
generating new SSTables in the CF via writes and flushes, I would doubt any
background process notices it's expired and re-compacts it.

Have you considered asking this question in the #cassandra IRC channel on
freenode?

=Rob