cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Thomas Whiteway <Thomas.White...@metaswitch.com>
Subject Cassandra seems to replace existing node without specifying replace_address
Date Wed, 27 May 2015 12:48:02 GMT
Hi,

I've been investigating using replace_address to replace a node that hasn't left the cluster
cleanly and after upgrading from 2.1.0 to 2.1.4 it seems that adding a new node will automatically
replace an existing node with the same IP address even if replace_address isn't used.  Does
anyone know whether this is an expected change (as far as I can tell it doesn't seem to be)?

I've been hitting this by

*         creating a two node cluster (with the nodes in different datacentres)

*         blocking traffic between the two nodes

*         decommissioning one of them

*         unblocking traffic between the two nodes

*         trying to re-add the decommissioned node back into the cluster.

I reproduced this with some extra logging and it seems this change was introduced by CASSANDRA-7939
in 2.1.1.  When StorageService.checkForEndpointCollision calls Gossiper.isFatClient  TokenMetadata.tokenToEndpointMap
is empty so isFatClient returns true.

Thanks,
Thomas