cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jack Krupansky <>
Subject Re: Out of memory on wide row read
Date Tue, 12 May 2015 20:13:59 GMT
Sounds like it's worth a Jira - Cassandra should protect itself from
innocent mistakes or excessive requests from clients. Maybe there should be
a timeout or result size (bytes in addition to count) limit. Something.
Anything. But OOM seems a tad unfriendly for an innocent mistake. In this
particular case, maybe Cassandra could detect the total row size/slice
being read and error out on a configurable limiit.

-- Jack Krupansky

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 1:57 PM, Robert Coli <> wrote:

> On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 8:43 AM, Kévin LOVATO <> wrote:
>> My question is the following: Is it possible to prevent Cassandra from
>> OOM'ing when a client does this kind of requests? I'd rather have an error
>> thrown to the client than a multi-server crash.
> You can provide a default LIMIT clause, but this is based on number of
> results and not size.
> Other than that, there are not really great options.
> =Rob

View raw message