cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Artur Siekielski <a...@vhex.net>
Subject Performance penalty of multiple UPDATEs of non-pk columns
Date Fri, 15 May 2015 09:16:04 GMT
I've seen some discussions about the topic on the list recently, but I
would like to get more clear answers.

Given the table:

CREATE TABLE t1 (
	f1 text,
	f2 text,
	f3 text,
	PRIMARY KEY(f1, f2)
);

and assuming I will execute UPDATE of f3 multiple times (say, 1000) for
the same key values k1, k2 and different values of 'newval':

UPDATE t1 SET f3=newval WHERE f1=k1 AND f2=k2;

How will the performance of selecting the current 'f3' value be affected?:

SELECT f3 FROM t1 WHERE f1=k2 AND f2=k2;

It looks like all the previous values are preserved until compaction,
but does executing the SELECT reads all the values (O(n), n - number of
updates) or only the current one (O(1)) ?

How the situation looks for Counter types?