cassandra-user mailing list archives

From List <l...@airstreamcomm.net>
Subject Re: PHP Cassandra Driver for 2.0.13
Date Fri, 10 Apr 2015 13:53:52 GMT
On 4/10/15 8:43 AM, Michael Dykman wrote:
> Somewhat over a year ago, I set out to address the exact same issue
> for our high-traffic PHP site.  After several failed attempts, I tried
> to wrap the C++ driver (as it was then) in extern "C" wrappers before
> I gave up when I realized the driver was pre-alpha.  The current
> implementation provides C bindings out of the box but it relative
> immaturity still makes it look like too much of a risk.
>
> Ultimately, we set up a web service (json in/json out) written in Java
> which uses the datastax Java driver to accommodate our PHP's cassandra
> needs.  An arbitrary number of parameterized queries can be passed to
> the service which runs those queries in parallel and the result is
> both reliable and very fast.  I don't think it would be easy (or even
> possible) for a PHP implementation to take advantage of the async
> interface which is where most of the performance gain is to be had.
>

> On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 8:47 AM, Anishek Agarwal <anishek@gmail.com
> <mailto:anishek@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     As part of using this for our project one of our teams need PHP
>     driver for cassandra. the datastax page says its in ALPHA, is
>     there some release candidate that people have used or any way to
>     get this working with PHP ?
>
>     Thanks
>     Anishek
>

> --
>  - michael dykman
>  - mdykman@gmail.com <mailto:mdykman@gmail.com>
>
>  May the Source be with you.

We did exactly the same thing using Node.js.  Built a simple Express app
with the Datastax Node.js driver that allows us to send a CQL query (or
batch) with JSON and return the results.  Being that it's a
small/efficient app we can load it on the same machine that PHP is
running on and get the benefits of the cluster aware topology that the
driver implements (aka free load balancing to the db).