cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Matthew Johnson <matt.john...@algomi.com>
Subject Creating 'Put' requests
Date Thu, 23 Apr 2015 13:28:38 GMT
Hi all,

Currently looking at switching from HBase to Cassandra, and one big
difference so far is that in HBase, we create a ‘Put’ object, add to it a
set of column/value pairs, and send the Put to the server. So far in
Cassandra 2.1.4 the tutorials seem to suggest using CQL3, which I really
like for prototyping eg:

session.execute("INSERT INTO simplex.playlists (id, song_id, title, album,
artist) VALUES (1,1,'La Petite Tonkinoise','Bye Bye Blackbird','Joséphine
Baker');");

But for more complicated code this will quickly become unmanageable, and
doesn’t lend itself well to dynamically creating row data based on various
conditions. Is there a way to send a Java object, populated with the
desired column/value pairs, to the server instead of executing an insert
statement? Would this require some other library, or does the DataStax Java
driver support this already?

Thanks in advance,

Matt