cassandra-user mailing list archives

From daemeon reiydelle <daeme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Does it makes sense to split Gossip from Thrift network
Date Thu, 05 Mar 2015 01:29:04 GMT
If your cluster is typical, your most critical resource is your network
bandwidth, if this is the case, I would not do this split you are
proposing. One issue with large MTU's is that they are often split at the
switch fabric. Switches are not generally known for having processors that
are idle, so this actually slows DOWN throughput to busy nodes.

I would also be concerned that in many cases the SAME nodes are supposed to
be identifiable as the SAME Gossip and Thrift related node. When you set
them up as different IP's I think you will will have additional issues.

What is the use case you are trying to solve with this configuration? If
Thrift is flooding your network port, then taking away bandwidth (assuming
you are bonding?) seems contraproductive. Unless you have not yet tried
bonding?

*.......*

*“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in apretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside
in a cloud of smoke,thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly
proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” - Hunter ThompsonDaemeon C.M. ReiydelleUSA
(+1) 415.501.0198London (+44) (0) 20 8144 9872*