cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Duncan Sands <duncan.sa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Deleted columns reappear after "repair"
Date Tue, 24 Mar 2015 17:39:49 GMT
Hi Roman,

On 24/03/15 18:05, Roman Tkachenko wrote:
> Hi Duncan,
>
> Thanks for the response!
>
> I can try increasing gc_grace_seconds and run repair on all nodes. It does not
> make sense though why all *new* deletes (for the same column that resurrects
> after repair) I do are forgotten as well after repair? Doesn't Cassandra insert
> a new tombstone every time delete happens?

it does.  Maybe the data you are trying to delete has a timestamp (writetime) in
the future, for example because clocks aren't synchronized between your nodes.

> Also, how do I find out the value to set gc_grace_seconds to?

It needs to be big enough that you are sure to repair your entire cluster in
less than that time.  For example, observe how long repairing the entire cluster
takes and multiply by 3 or 4 (in case a repair fails or is interrupted one day).

Once incremental repair is solid maybe the whole gc_grace thing will eventually
go away, eg by modifying C* to only drop known repaired tombstones.

Ciao, Duncan.