cassandra-user mailing list archives

From <SEAN_R_DUR...@homedepot.com>
Subject RE: Run Mixed Workload using two instances on one node
Date Tue, 17 Mar 2015 13:27:41 GMT
We run two cassandra nodes on the same host for a use case that requires a random ordered ring
and a byte ordered ring. It is technically feasible. However, it makes administration of the
rings a bit tougher (different ports for one, etc.). OpsCenter agents can only connect to
one of the rings at a time. (Perhaps we could run 2 agents also, on different ports…)

Have you considered using a separate, logical Data Center for the reporting use cases? OLTP
clients use the OLTP DC; reporting clients use the Reporting DC. The reporting CFs could have
smaller replication factor on the OLTP DC, if needed, to keep writes and data size minimized
there.

Sean Durity – Cassandra Admin, Big Data Team
From: Anuj Wadehra [mailto:anujw_2003@yahoo.co.in]
Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2015 1:36 AM
To: Ali Akhtar; user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: Run Mixed Workload using two instances on one node

I understand that 2 instances on one node looks a weird solution. But can have dedicated reporting
nodes for big customers but not for small customers.

My questions would be:
1. What is the technical reasoning? What problems you foresee  if we use 2 C* instances on
one node in production? We have ample HW on each server and mostly it's under-utilized. We
just want that heavy reporting must not impact OLTP and both OLTP and reporting should be
individually scalable.
2. I think we dont need Elastic Search. We just need a plain Reporting DB which can reply
to reporting queries.We can create our own CF as indexes. We dont need overhead of another
3PP for our current reporting needs.

Thanks
Anuj

On Tuesday, 17 March 2015 9:59 AM, Ali Akhtar <ali.rac200@gmail.com<mailto:ali.rac200@gmail.com>>