cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Amlan Roy <amlan....@cleartrip.com>
Subject Cassandra rack awareness
Date Fri, 27 Feb 2015 15:30:48 GMT
Hi,

I am new to Cassandra and trying to setup a Cassandra 2.0 cluster using 4 nodes, 2 each in
2 different racks. All are in same data centre. This is what I see in the documentation:

To use racks correctly:

Use the same number of nodes in each rack. Use one rack and place the nodes in different racks
in an alternating pattern. This allows you to still get the benefits of Cassandra's rack feature,
and allows for quick and fully functional expansions. Once the cluster is stable, you can
swap nodes and make the appropriate moves to ensure that nodes are placed in the ring in an
alternating fashion with respect to the racks.
What I have understood is, in cassandra-rackdc.properties, I need to use single rack name
even though I have 2 racks and then place the nodes in such an order that they are placed
in an alternating fashion - RAC1-NODE1, RAC2-NODE1, RAC1-NODE2, RAC2-NODE2.

Just wanted to know if this is correct. If yes, how do I enforce this order while adding nodes.

Thanks.