cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Stefano Ortolani <>
Subject Re: Recommissioned a node
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2015 15:56:18 GMT
Hi Eric,

thanks for your answer. The reason why it got recommissioned was simply
because the machine got restarted (with auto_bootstrap set to to true). A
cleaner, and correct, recommission would have just required wiping the data
folder, am I correct? Or would I have needed to change something else in
the node configuration?

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 6:47 AM, Eric Stevens <> wrote:

> AFAIK it should be ok after the repair completed (it was missing all
> writes while it was decommissioning and while it was offline, and nobody
> would have been keeping hinted handoffs for it, so repair was the right
> thing to do).  Unless RF=N you're now due for a cleanup on the other nodes.
> Generally speaking though this was probably not a good idea.  When the
> node came back online, it rejoined the cluster immediately and would have
> been serving client requests without having a consistent view of the data.
> A safer approach would be to wipe the data directory and bootstrap it as a
> clean new member.
> I'm curious what prompted that cycle of decommission then recommission.
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 10:13 PM, Stefano Ortolani <>
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I recommissioned a node after decommissioningit.
>> That happened (1) after a successfull decommission (checked), (2) without
>> wiping the data directory on the node, (3) simply by restarting the
>> cassandra service. The node now reports himself healty and up and running
>> Knowing that I issued the "repair" command and patiently waited for its
>> completion, can I assume the cluster, and its internals (replicas, balance
>> between those) to be healthy and "as new"?
>> Regards,
>> Stefano

View raw message