cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Mark Reddy <mark.l.re...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Why no virtual nodes for Cassandra on EC2?
Date Fri, 20 Feb 2015 09:01:42 GMT
Hey Clint,

Someone for DataStax can correct me here, but I'm assuming that they have
disabled vnodes because the AMI is built to make it easy to set up a
pre-configured
mixed workload cluster. A mixture of Real-Time/Transactional (Cassandra),
Analytics (Hadoop), or Search (Solr). If you take a look at the getting
started guide for both Hadoop and Solr you will see a paragraph instructing
the user to disable vnodes for a mix workload cluster.

http://www.datastax.com/documentation/datastax_enterprise/4.0/datastax
_enterprise/srch/srchIntro.html
http://www.datastax.com/documentation/datastax_enterprise/4.0/datastax
_enterprise/ana/anaStrt.html

This is specific to the example AMI and that type of workload. This is by
no means a warning for users to disable vnodes on their
Real-Time/Transactional Cassandra only clusters on EC2.

I've used vnodes on EC2 without issue.

Regards,
Mark