cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Amlan Roy <>
Subject Re: Cassandra rack awareness
Date Sat, 28 Feb 2015 09:05:02 GMT
Hi Rob,

Thanks for sharing the link. I have gone through it and few other documents as well. Still
I am confused. It seems, if we use vnodes and NetworkTopologyStrategy, we should use a single
rack configuration in Cassandra. Or, it can create hotspots in the ring. Not sure if my understanding
is correct.

On 28-Feb-2015, at 2:42 am, Robert Coli <> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 7:30 AM, Amlan Roy <> wrote:
> I am new to Cassandra and trying to setup a Cassandra 2.0 cluster using 4 nodes, 2 each
in 2 different racks. All are in same data centre. This is what I see in the documentation:
> To use racks correctly:
> Use the same number of nodes in each rack. Use one rack and place the nodes in different
racks in an alternating pattern. This allows you to still get the benefits of Cassandra's
rack feature, and allows for quick and fully functional expansions. Once the cluster is stable,
you can swap nodes and make the appropriate moves to ensure that nodes are placed in the ring
in an alternating fashion with respect to the racks.
> What I have understood is, in, I need to use single rack
name even though I have 2 racks and then place the nodes in such an order that they are placed
in an alternating fashion - RAC1-NODE1, RAC2-NODE1, RAC1-NODE2, RAC2-NODE2.
> Just wanted to know if this is correct. If yes, how do I enforce this order while adding
> =Rob

View raw message