cassandra-user mailing list archives

From "Marcelo Valle (BLOOMBERG/ LONDON)" <mvallemil...@bloomberg.net>
Subject Re: best supported spark connector for Cassandra
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2015 14:05:02 GMT
Actually, I am not the one looking for support, but I thank you a lot anyway.
But from your message I guess the answer is yes, Datastax is not the only Cassandra vendor
offering support and changing official Cassandra source at this moment, is this right?
From: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: best supported spark connector for Cassandra

Of course, Stratio Deep and Stratio Cassandra are licensed  Apache 2.0.

Regarding the Cassandra support, I can introduce you to someone in Stratio that can help you.

Thanks for the hint Gaspar.
Do you know if Stratio Deep / Stratio Cassandra are also licensed Apache 2.0?

I had interest in knowing more about Stratio when I was working on a start up. Now, on a blueship,
it seems one of the hardest obstacles to use Cassandra in a project is the need of an area
supporting it, and it seems people are specially concerned about how many vendors an open
source solution has to provide support.

This seems to be kind of an advantage of HBase, as there are many vendors supporting it, but
I wonder if Stratio can be considered an alternative to Datastax reggarding Cassandra support?

It's not my call here to decide anything, but as part of the community it helps to have this
business scenario clear. I could say Cassandra could be the best fit technical solution for
some projects but sometimes non-technical factors are in the game, like this need for having
more than one vendor available...

From: gmunoz@stratio.com

My suggestion is to use Java or Scala instead of Python. For Java/Scala both the Datastax
and Stratio drivers are valid and similar options. As far as I know they both take care about
data locality and are not based on the Hadoop interface. The advantage of Stratio Deep is
that allows you to integrate Spark not only with Cassandra but with MongoDB, Elasticsearch,
Aerospike and others as well.
Stratio has a forked Cassandra for including some additional features such as Lucene based
secondary indexes. So Stratio driver works fine with the Apache Cassandra and also with their
fork.

You can find some examples of using Deep here: https://github.com/Stratio/deep-examples  Please
if you need some help with Stratio Deep do not hesitate to contact us.

I am using Calliope cassandra-spark connector(http://tuplejump.github.io/calliope/), which
is quite handy and easy to use!
The only problem is that it is a bit outdates , works with Spark 1.1.0, hopefully new version
comes soon.

best,
/Shahab

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 2:51 PM, Marcelo Valle (BLOOMBERG/ LONDON) <mvallemilita@bloomberg.net>