cassandra-user mailing list archives

From "Marcelo Valle (BLOOMBERG/ LONDON)" <mvallemil...@bloomberg.net>
Subject Re: to normalize or not to normalize - read penalty vs write penalty
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2015 18:24:36 GMT
Perfect Tyler.

My feeling was leading me to this, but I wasn't being able to put it in words as you did.

Thanks a lot for the message.

From: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: to normalize or not to normalize - read penalty vs write penalty

Okay.  Let's assume with denormalization you have to do 1000 writes (and one read per user)
and with normalization you have to do 1 write (and maybe 1000 reads for each user).

If you execute the writes in the most optimal way (batched by partition, if applicable, and
separate, concurrent requests per partition), I think it's reasonable to say you can do 1000
writes in 10 to 20ms.

Doing 1000 reads is going to take longer.  Exactly how long depends on your systems (SSDs
or not, whether the data is cached, etc).  But this is probably going to take at least 2x
as long as the writes.

So, with denormalization, it's 10 to 20ms for all users to see the change (with a median somewhere
around 5 to 10ms).  With normalization, all users *could* see the update almost immediately,
because it's only one write.  However, each of your users needs to read 1000 partitions, which
takes, say 20 to 50ms.  So effectively, they won't see the changes for 20 to 50ms, unless
they know to read the details for that exact alert.

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 11:57 AM, Marcelo Valle (BLOOMBERG/ LONDON) <mvallemilita@bloomberg.net>