cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Batranut Bogdan <batra...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Adding new node to cluster
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2015 11:48:16 GMT
Hello,
I have decommissioned a node, deleted data,commitlog and saved caches, changed yaml file to
not include self ip and started it. For some reason I do not fully understand, Opscenter says
that the node is in an unknown datacenter. Nodetool says UJ but shows "?" in the Owns column.
I have started the node yesterday. I still see streams towards this node so I can I assume
that once it finishes joining, Opscenter will see it properly?
I remember that I might have setup the entire initial cluster with own ips in the yaml file.To
bring the cluster to a valid state, I assume that I have to decommission the nodes one by
one, delete the data, and restart with correct yaml settings.Is this correct?
Also a change of the cluster name would be nice.How can this be done with minimal impact?
     On Wednesday, February 18, 2015 12:56 AM, Eric Stevens <mightye@gmail.com> wrote:

 > Seed nodes apparently don’t bootstrap

That's right, if a node has itself in its own seeds list, it assumes it's a foundational member
of the cluster, and it will join immediately with no bootstrap.
If you've done this by accident, you should do nodetool decommission on that node, and when
it's fully left the cluster, wipe its data directory, edit the yaml and remove it from the
seeds list.