cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>
Subject Re: Compaction failing to trigger
Date Wed, 21 Jan 2015 19:30:30 GMT
On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 10:10 AM, Flavien Charlon <flavien.charlon@gmail.com
> wrote:

> https://engineering.eventbrite.com/what-version-of-cassandra-should-i-run/
>>

> This doesn't really answer my question, I asked whether this particular
> bug (which I can't find in JIRA) is planned to be fixed in 2.1.3, not
> whether 2.1.3 would be production ready.

No idea, but as I didn't recognize your name/email and you were
encountering problems with an IMO not-ready-for-production version. Many
people who are new to Cassandra and pre-or-close-to-production might be
better served by running a slightly older version and focusing on the
challenge of writing their app against a mostly-working distributed
database instead of troubleshooting Cassandra bugs.

tl;dr - Cassandra bugs in cutting edge versions are likely best encountered
by experienced operators who can recognize them and respond, not new
operators.

While we're on this topic, the version numbering is very misleading.
> Version which are not recommended for production should be very explicitly
> labelled as such (beta for example), and 2.1.0 should really be what you
> call now 2.1.6.

That's why I wrote the blog post. It is however important to note that I
speak in no official capacity for Apache Cassandra or Datastax.

The intent of the project is for x.y.0 to be production ready, and in
fairness they have recently added new QA processes which are likely to
drive the production ready version down from x.y.6. They are only human,
however, and as human developers are likely have slightly different (lower)
standards for production readiness than the typical operator. I wrote that
blog post to help set operator-appropriate expectations, so people are not
disappointed with the overall stability of Cassandra.

I personally operate Cassandra slightly on the trailing edge, and as a
result only encounter a limited subset of the problems I assist people with
on the list and IRC.

=Rob