cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Neha Trivedi <>
Subject Re: Fwd: ReadTimeoutException in Cassandra 2.0.11
Date Fri, 23 Jan 2015 03:28:02 GMT
Hello Everyone,
Thanks very much for the input.

Here is my System info.
1. I have single node cluster. (For testing)
2. I have 4GB Memory on the Server and trying to process 200B. ( 1GB is
allocated to Tomcat7, 1 GB to Cassandra and 1 GB to ActiveMQ. Also nltk
Server is running)
3. We are using 2.03 Driver (This is one I can change and try)
4. 64.4 GB HDD
5. Attached Memory and CPU information.

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 6:50 AM, Steve Robenalt <>

> I agree with Rob. You shouldn't need to change the read timeout.
> We had similar issues with intermittent ReadTimeoutExceptions for a while
> when we ran Cassandra on underpowered nodes on AWS. We've also seen them
> when executing unconstrained queries with very large ResultSets (because it
> takes longer than the timeout to return results). If you can share more
> details about the hardware environment you are running your cluster on,
> there are many on the list who can tell you if they are underpowered or not
> (CPUs, memory, and disk/storage config are all important factors).
> You might also try running a newer version of the Java Driver (the later
> 2.0.x drivers should all work with Cassandra 2.0.3), and I would also
> suggest moving to a newer (2.0.x) version of Cassandra if you have the
> option to do so. We had to move to Cassandra 2.0.5 some time ago from 2.0.3
> for an issue unrelated to the read timeouts.
> Steve
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 4:48 PM, Robert Coli <> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 4:19 PM, Asit KAUSHIK <
>> > wrote:
>>> There are some values for read timeout  in Cassandra.yaml file and the
>>> default value is 30000 ms change to a bigger value and that resolved our
>>> issue.
>> Having to increase this value is often a strong signal you are Doing It
>> Wrong. FWIW!
>> =Rob

View raw message