cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Tyler Hobbs <ty...@datastax.com>
Subject Re: is primary key( foo, bar) the same as primary key ( foo ) with a ‘set' of bars?
Date Fri, 02 Jan 2015 19:35:04 GMT
On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 1:13 PM, Eric Stevens <mightye@gmail.com> wrote:

> > And also stored entirely for each UPDATE. Change one element,
> re-serialize the whole thing to disk.
>
> Is this true?  I thought updates (adds, removes, but not overwrites)
> affected just the indicated columns.  Isn't it just the reads that involve
> reading the entire collection?

This is not true (with one minor exception).  All operations on sets and
maps require no reads.  The same is true for appends and prepends on lists,
but delete and set operations on lists with (non-zero) indexes require the
list to be read first.  However, the entire list does not need to be
re-written to disk.

--
Tyler Hobbs
DataStax <http://datastax.com/>